Ruth Moon ruth.c.moon(at)gmail(dot)com
The Colorado Springs Gazette Circulation 90,000; news intern (May-August 2010)
- Reported and wrote breaking news and features for print and Web. Covered cops, courts, arts and entertainment, and pitched and reported enterprise stories. Produced Web multimedia content.
Christianity Today Circulation 140,000; news reporter (September 2008-present)
- Report news for print and online publication. Produce audio slideshows for the Web. Acquire and edit two-page opinion spread, and interview and compile opinion feature for print magazine each month. Regularly contribute to Christianity Today’s women’s blog.
Naperville Sun Circulation 20,000; news reporter (September 2008-September 2009)
- Reported news and feature stories and pitched stories for print and Web publication for Sun-Times News group in Chicago’s western suburbs.
Vail Daily Circulation 14,000; news intern (June-August 2008)
- Pitched and reported breaking news, sports, and feature articles for print and online newspaper and weekly newsmagazine, produced multimedia content for Web site and copy edited content.
The Wheaton Record Circulation 3,500; editor in chief (May 2007-May 2008) development manager, managing editor, photo editor, news reporter, photographer (2005-2007, 2008-2009)
- Managed a 16-person editorial staff and planned and executed weekly production of a 12-page paper, including editing, reporting and opinion writing. Launched the paper’s first digital archive.
- Designed pages, copy edited, consulted and wrote opinion, arts and entertainment, and sports articles. Photographed sports events, concerts, spot news and breaking news.
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
M.A. Political Science, Expected May 2011
- Graduate assistantship and master’s fellowship recipient. Research focus: media and politics.
Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois
B.A. English Literature, May 2009
- President’s Award: minimum high school GPA 3.6, SAT 1400 or higher; National Merit Scholar.
World Journalism Institute New York City, New York
- Studied under journalists from the Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, and The Denver Post.
Skills and activities
- Familiar with Adobe CS2 and CS3, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and InCopy
- Trained in Computer Assisted Reporting, Soundslides and audio editing software
- Conversational in French
- Violist, Wheaton College Symphony Orchestra (2005-2009), Southern Illinois Symphony Orchestra (2009-2010)
Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting 2010 Student Reporting Fellow, “Niger: Feeding the Forgotten”
Illinois College Press Association First Place, News Story (2009), Third Place, News Story (2009), Honorable Mention, In-Depth Reporting (2008), Honorable Mention, Sports Photo (2006)
References available on request